2021 Student Scholarship Presentation
Student Scholarships Administered by the Foundation
- The East Grand Rapids Schools Foundation Scholarship is a $1,000 scholarship awarded to a high school senior who shows commitment to education and community and has aspirations and goals for the future.
- The Charles B. "Chip" Ridenour Jr. Memorial Scholarship was established by Chip's wife, Julie in 1996. The scholarship is intended to fund up to $1,000 for post-secondary educational costs for one or two graduating seniors. The Foundation accepts nominations for this scholarship; however, the Ridenour family reviews nominations and selects the recipient(s).
- The Reid VanGelderen Memorial & Scholarship Fund was established in 2009 in memory of Reid, who died in August 2008 after a valiant battle with cancer. This $1,000 scholarship is given annually to a student who has overcome adversity while showing similar characteristics to Reid—courage and perseverance. Together, the Foundation and founding committee will administer this fund as well as an annual scholarship and a matching donation to the DeVos Children's Hospital Pediatric Oncology Resource Team (P.O.R.T.).
- The Matt F. Fouch Scholarship of Character was established in 2020 by Matt's wife, Jill, and children Jake, Maddie and Zac as a way to celebrate Matt’s life commitment to shaping the lives of young people both in the classroom and on the field. This scholarship honors Matt's character by celebrating those who are “good to all, do the right thing when no one is watching,” and are committed to kindness and others in their school and community. This memorial scholarship was established after Matt's battle with cancer and passing in December 2019. The establishment of the scholarship will celebrate and thank Matt for his 21 years of service in the math classrooms at East Grand Rapids Middle School and for his 23 years of coaching football and three years of coaching golf. The first recipient of the $1,000 was a member of the 2020 senior class.
- The GPJC Scholarship in Memory of Peter Coroneos celebrates George Peter James Coroneos and his interest in and care for other people. Peter was a dynamic personality in all aspects. He cared for people deeply and cast a wide net of friendships around the world. Peter was a gatherer of friends with a genuine interest in the well-being of others and for that we are grateful. The scholarship honors and celebrates a senior who embodies these same characteristics.
- The Murphy Ainsworth Scholarship is awarded annually to one or more graduating seniors who exhibit many of the following qualities or attributes: attending Butler University (preferred) or Grand Rapids Community College; involved in athletics; good neighbor and friend; makes friends easily; of the growth mindset, always working to grow one’s personal best and develop as an individual; able to persevere even if school and/or work are challenging; observant, patient and kind. The amount of the scholarship generally will be up to $1,000.
- The Parker Spindle Genuine Heart Scholarship is awarded annually to one or more graduating seniors who exhibit many of the following qualities or attributes: a genuine heart and great compassion for others, a passion for school spirit and community spirit, a strong impact on those around him, but maybe not a strong presence, a student, but maybe not one who has academics as their main focus, a team player and always a team cheerleader, supporter of many from old to young and friend to family.